Objectives of the program
The Director’s Personal Background
- Implement a whole school (K – 12) AFL development program that caters for beginning players through to elite under aged players.
- Encourage ‘life long’ participation and love of our great game.
- Continually finish in the Top 3 of the 1st XVIII PSA football competition.
- Continue to produce WAFL and AFL players. In 2007 GGS produced 4 AFL draftees – Alex Rance to Richmond, Dave Ellard to Carlton, Luke Miles to St Kilda, Cruise Garlett to North Melbourne. In 2010, Gerald Ugle was contracted to the Greater Western Sydney Giants.
Click here to view a parent letter from the 2013 Director of Football
- Possesses a Bachelor of Science (Human Movement and Exercise Science) and a Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary).
- Accredited Level 2 Australian Rules Football Coach.
- Involved in coaching at amateur and school level.
- Coaching personnel is headed by 1st XVIII Coach, Darren Klemm.
- Medical, administrative, strength & conditioning, nutritional and welfare support staff work diligently with the coaching staff and players to assist the players on going development.
- Having a smaller student group to draw upon was once considered a debilitating weakness however; we now consider this a great strength. We are able to provide individual attention to all our players that no other PSA schools can provide.
Facilities & Resources
- Every student in the program will be integrated into our progressively developed game plans. As the boys move through the Year group teams, the coaching staff will focus on different aspects of our game style in a sequential and holistic manner. Improving all players skill levels and game sense will always be a priority however, we will also:
- Facilitate an understanding of the historical influences on the game.
- Demand a ‘respectful’ approach to all involved.
- Encourage continued academic achievement.
- Promote good citizenship.
- Facilitate the development of leadership skills.
- Ensure all players understand the work ethic required to succeed.
- While somewhat dependent on our playing personnel, the 1st XVIII game style will:
- Encourage attacking football by running the ball and getting it quickly to high percentage scoring areas.
- Be based on a ‘hard 1 on 1’ approach with defensive pressure all over the ground.
- Be well structured & disciplined.
- Instil ‘selflessness’ in all players.
- Once the ‘poor cousin’ of the PSA in terms of grounds and facilities, the ‘One Campus’ project has ensured that GGS is now at the fore front in terms of playing grounds and facilities. In 2008, we unveiled two fully re-developed playing grounds and the new Foundation Pavilion to complement our weights room, heated pool and indoor training facilities.
For further information contact the Director of Football, Geoff Valentine, on email@example.com or (+61 8) 9377 9267 or Teacher in Charge, Mr Gary Foster on firstname.lastname@example.org or (+61 8) 9377 9259.